Friday, June 6, 2008

Travelling, Travelling and More Travelling

Sydney to London is a long flight. A VERY long flight. I have done this once before on my 2005 trip but I had forgotten just how long it was. After 8 hours on the plane we arrived in SIngapore for a fuel stop at around midnight. This was only a very quick stop, but it gave me a chance to stretch my legs. The flight was made bearable thankfully by my travel companions. I was sitting next to Leo, an Italian who was returning home after a year in Sydney. He was very talkative and managed to tell me a lot about what and what not to do in Italy. Also in my row was Samantha, a backpacker who was returning home to Cornwall after 6 months on the road. She was a little less talkative but friendly enough and also managed to talk a bit about her home, and what it is like to live in England compared to Australia (information that I am sure will come in handy on the second leg of my trip).

After Singapore, we re-boarded for the LONG 14 hour flight to London. This is equivalent to the usual flight from Sydney to Johannesburg which I have done many times, so I knew what to expect. Unfortunately what I am not used to is doing it directly AFTER 8hrs on the plane. As some of you know, I am a terrible sleeper when it comes to planes. I really dont stand a chance. However, I managed to get a couple of hours on this flgiht, and was pleasantly surprised at the entertainment on offer. I managed to knock off a few movies that I had never seen and they were all well worth it. Jumper, Sweeney Todd, Juno and There Will Be Blood. All very good.

I am now sitting in the new Terminal 5 at Heathrow airport for my connecting flight to Athens. It is very shiny and new, and kind of reminds me of the new the new terminals at Johannesburg. I have managed to get in contact with Jasha, and he will be meeting me at the airport in Athens, shaggy hair and all. It will be good to hang out wiht him for a couple of days before heading off to the dig.

I dont have much more to tell, so I will leave this here for now, and get to some emails before my internet time runs out.

Will post soon so stay tuned for the next episode of 'The Incredible Journey!' (patent pending).

Chris

No comments: